Initial Sewing experiments
After a few days of getting my Mom's Singer 201 up and running - I decided to keep a journal, of sorts, documenting my clumsy projects.
Grim Reaper Cloak
I have no idea what I'm doing when it comes to sewing. Kites and test scraps don't count. As all the Spjrt Halloween store start populating the vacant Toys R Us spaces, I remember having an old handmade grim reaper cloak when I was a volunteer at the local Chamber of Ccommerce fundraising haunted house. Made by one of the group's wives, one of 80 made for us high school students cast as "haunts" scattered about the labyrinth, i used it for years until i lost track of it. I remember the heavy, flowing cloak handmade quality and the desire to, someday, be able to make things with a sewing machine. Imagine being able to make anything that pops to mind!
Just going to dive in and start sewing sans pattern or instructions. I figure its just a floppy 3-d puzzle. I'll stop at gathering reference photos of what I want to make and jump right in with the scissors. Wow, lots of variants...
As it seems like a lot of the versions use drawstrings to form the majority of the shape - I just started with making a bag with tapered shoulder lines. The fabric I selected was pretty close to denim, a heavy black twill.
For the neck hole, I cut one arc shallow and one arc deep. I didnt know how they would gape, but I knew I didnt want to look like a priest. The two depths gave me options.